We don’t want to bore you with 2019 interior design new year’s resolutions so we’re keeping it short at just 4. This time of year is all about change. It’s always new year, new me! And to be honest, we love it. The new year is filled with so much possibility and motivation and just general good spirits (not just the wine moms!).
So we are throwing in our two cents. Who are we? We are a mother/daughter team of experienced interior designers in Winter Park. Fl. We’ve been doing this for 20 new years, but this is our first attempt to dish out a few interior design tips of our own. Let us know what you think in the comments!
On to the list!
Change Your Layout – Change Your Mood
This is the best 2019 interior design new year’s resolution you could ask for because it’s completely free. That’s right, all it will cost you is a weekend and maybe a few bottles of red wine at the end of each night to celebrate.
- Rearrange big pieces of furniture first.
- Consider a complete flip and move furniture across the room.
- Be daring and switch rooms in the house.
- Kitchen appliances are easy to move and changing the layout will make every day feel new.
Go for something completely new, really push the envelope and do something a little different.
Try New Wall Art
Changing or adding wall art can make such a difference. You are staring at your walls more than you realize and trust us when we say, so are your guests. What hangs on the walls is often the very first thing a guest notices when they walk into your home.
- If you are daring, create a gallery wall.
- Hang more pictures of loved ones.
- Think about painting a mural.
New Sheets – Make Your Bed Every Day
You will feel this 2019 interior design tip every single day… or should we say night?
Our grandfather always used to say: “Always spend more on anything that separates you from the ground: shoes, tires, chairs and beds”.
We still believe that to this day. You can drastically change your sleeping comfort and room interior design just by upgrading your sheets, pillows and making your bed every morning.
- Look for 2,000 thread count at a minimum. Perfect for hot summer nights.
- Find a pillow that you will be comfortable with. Don’t just by the first one you find.
- Invest in a duvet and a duvet cover.
- Make your bed every morning
Trust us on the bed making. It will drastically change your morning routine, your night time routine and your general mood throughout the day. It should be a new year’s resolution regardless of any of our interior design advice!
Out With The Old – In With The You
Get rid of the clutter that’s holding you back and step into a much more 2019 living space. Interior designers are recommending a more classy, sleek and almost minimal design trend for 2019 and a move away from cluttered coziness. This is an approach that leans more on a functional and clean look than it does the full look of the past few years.
If you are wondering what on Earth you could donate here’s a few things to consider:
- Clothes you haven’t worn in over 2 years. You don’t want to look like that anymore, anyway.
- Old appliances that you have to store away.
- Towels, linens and blankets.
- Trinkets that are no longer personal.
But this is also an opportunity for you to get rid of old clothes, old ornaments and dead weight. BE sure to take your things to the local goodwill or charity spots around town and give a little something back to the community.